 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6035
Re: Helper applications for 3D modeling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:17:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
I've been long annoyed at the lack of a ponytail hair piece in LDraw, but
unfortunately I've never been in much of a position to model one. Modeling new
parts is painstaking work. I did get to thinking, though, that for parts that
are so complex, why not see if there's some other application to help get the
hard parts done faster, then tweak it and convert some parts to primitives for a
final piece?

I discovered there's a shareware program called Pictomod3D that can convert
photos taken at various angles to meshes, textured or untextured. In theory this
would be a dandy way to convert an existing part into something usable in LDraw,
at least as a first step. Has anyone else used this program, or another program
like it, for part modeling? And if not, I wonder if it might be a good idea for
the part author community to explore this option.

Lummox JR

That's pretty interesting, so it's certainly worth a try.  Converting to LDraw
format could be difficult, though.  But I know of a tool from another 3d project
I've been working with, the game VegaStrike, called mesher.exe, which can
convert .OBJ files to an xml triangular mesh.  Once it's in that format, it
probably wouldn't be too hard to convert it to LDraw triangles.

look here for the binary:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vegastrike/trunk/data4.x/bin/

Andy