 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5708
Re: Parts I like to see for real
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.parts
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:09:31 GMT

Hi Jaco,

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jaco van der Molen wrote:

   Like I asked in the “Dear LEGO” newsgroup there are some parts I would like to see for real.

I’m with you.... there are some parts I’d enjoy seeing as well.

   I have come up with 3 simple parts so far: plate and brick 1x5 and tile 1x3 and thinking about more.

Here’s a part I’d love to see. And like your question/request about the 1x5 brick and plate, I am also curious to know why such a seemingly ‘basic’ part has never made it into the system.

And though I haven’t rendered one, I think it would also be nice to have a matching 3x3 plate as well. :)

   There are some other people out there I came across who are “designing” new LEGO parts, but these are all rather complicated.

Have you had a chance to see this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=4837

Yes, some of the fantasy parts that people suggest are complicated, but then others are simpler. I guess it also depends upon your definition of a ‘complicated’ part. One might argue that this is a complicated part:

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/43721

But I would argue it’s a brilliantly designed part that is a fantastic addition to the LEGO system of parts. To be able to convert a surface from 90 degrees to 45 degrees in just the length of 4 studs.... that’s the essence of simplicity of you ask me.

There’s also a part that often comes to mind when I think of this topic. It’s not a new part, but rather one that hasn’t been seen on the shelves in over 3 decades:

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/702

I think it could be a wonderfully useful re-addition to the lineup.

Great topic... always one of my favorites to discuss.

Best regards,
Allan B.
The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide
  • Follow-ups set to .parts, since that might be a better place for a discussion of ‘real’ though not-yet-produced parts.