 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 519
Re: Support Insectoids Leg Small, part #30211, partially complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:23:12 GMT

[XPOST lugnet.faq, XFUT lugnet.cad.dev.  Please follow-up appropriately.]

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

Thanks Steve, I'll take a look at what you  have done. Can you clarify
'inline'for me, I have seen it in several parts. I guess I have just missed how
it is used.

Inlining is the process of replacing a subfile reference with the contents of
the subfile.

Like this:

b = 12*a
a = c + 3

If you _inlined_ a into b, you'd get:
b = 12*c + 36

Of course, it's slightly more complicated in LDraw-world.

Inlining is good, because it allows you to design parts/models using several
files, but only distribute a single LDraw file.  Inlining is bad because each
reference to a subfile must be replaced with the complete contents of the
subfile, which can increase the file size by a large amount.

The only inlining tool that I know of is the inliner in LDAO.
<http://blisses.home.att.net/ldao/ldaddon.html>

Steve