 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4919
Re: Slope Brick Round
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:04:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Thomas Garrison wrote:
Following up on a comment by Chris Dee on part 33243 on the Tracker. . .

There's this part 500 from the last parts update
Slope Brick Round  1 x  6 Inverted

The first mysterious thing about this name is that it starts with "slope",
but then proceeds to give the dimensions as {width} x {run}, the opposite
of every other slope I can recall in the LDraw library.

More importantly, this slope doesn't look like other slopes; it has a
curved surface.  The partner of 500 is
www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x227
so presumably this part should also be identified as a slope when added to
the library.  But this part has essentially the same shape as
6215 Brick 2 x 3 with Curved Top
and
2302 Duplo Brick 2 x 3 with Curved Top
, so presumably those parts will themselves need to be renamed to the new
"Slope Brick Round" category.  By analogy to existing slopes, so do parts
4744, 6216, 6081, 6192, 30165, 6091, and 6191.

Since all that renaming seems like a lot of work, I wonder if it wouldn't
be easier to rename part 500. . .

(I couldn't find any previous LUGNET discussion about this new part
category, and all discussion of part 500 on the Tracker was wiped out when
it was released.)

It looks like another CATEGORY is about to be introduced.  Steve has added ROUND
as a CATEGORY; see
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3961.dat
It may make sense to start moving all of the round bricks to this category, if
that's what this category is intended for.

John