 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4070
Re: Alternate version for part 2538 (Boat Mast)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:36:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Andrew Westrate wrote:

I've been informed that there is an alternate (earlier, it seems) version of
the boat mast that I made (see

I wasn't aware of the variation, could you be a little more specific
about the differences between the elements?

The differences can been seen here
http://mysite.freeserve.com/material/lego/parts/2538.jpg

Both parts are clearly marked 2538 between the 2nd and 3rd 'pillars' in the
'brick like' moulding at the base.  The only other visible difference is
that the one with the lugs is marked "2 03" and the one without lugs "1 02"
between the ist and 2nd 'pillars'

It's probably not *necessary* to make the variation, but it's certainly
allowable.  Generally, we aim to model 'functional variations'.

The only reason I raised it with Andrew in the first place was due to
'subtle' differences in parts such as 'tile' vs 'tile with groove' and
'technic bush type I' vs 'technic bush type 2'

The only ships I have are 6286 and 6274 - I know it proves very little
(especially as we have found 7x5 yellow plates in technic manuals) but the
bowsprit for 6274 http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6274/6274-12.html
does not show lugs whereas for 6286 it does
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6286/6286-28.html which would imply
that the lugless variant is older and so should be the 'a' part.

best regards

William