 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 37
Re: Unofficial part: 2853 Technic Crankshaft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:16:45 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> writes:

When viewed from the left side, there is no edge line along the top of the
"crank case".  Changing the above line to:
1 16 -10 0 -20 0 0 -9 -9 0 0 0 10.2 0 2-4cyli.dat
will solve this problem.

I have made this change, but I can't see how it makes any difference.
Could you elaborate slightly on the effect of this, please?

The 2-4cyli.dat has a conditional line at the "begining" of the curve, but not
one at the end.  I assume this is so that if two 2-4cyli's are combined to make
a complete cylinder, there won't be "extra" conditional lines.  The problem is
that if the 2-4cyli is mirrored across its z-axis (the y-axis the way you have
it oriented) then the "beginings" of the two primitives touch, and there are no
conditional lines at the "ends" of the 2-4cyli's (at the top of the crank case
in your part).  By mirroring the second 2-4cyli across both its z-axis and its
x-axis (y- and x-axes in your case) you make the "begining" of the second
2-4cyli touch the "end" of the first 2-4cyli, and there are conditional lines
all the way around.

Note that the fact that your 2-4cyli's are separated does not alter the need to
have conditional lines at the "top" of the case as well as the "bottom".

Hope this makes sense.  It's not like this is the biggest deal in the world,
but since you posted the part we might as well make it as perfect as possible
before the voting.

-John Van