 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3486
Re: Two questions on primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:46:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Philippe Hurbain writes:
The INVERTNEXT directive takes care of this problem.
Quoted from BFC proposal:
"INVERTNEXT
This option inverts a subfile.  It may only be used immediately before a
subfile command line, and it only influences the immediately following
subfile command."
I'm concerned that if we release those primitives that can be used as both
inside and outside surfaces as BFC complient, we'll have to go back to all
the other pieces that use them to insert the INVERTNEXT directive (where
appropriate). Otherwise some renderers, like L3Lab, will render pieces
incorrectly.

Is this a real issue?  Parts can't be truly BFC compliant until all of their
subparts are BFC compliant.  So yes, you'll have to insert those INVERTNEXT
commands.  But the part wasn't BFC compliant before, and this is just
another part of bringing it into compliance.  Or are there official parts
out there that have BFC commands in them but are relying on non-BFC'd
primitives?

Maybe I'm way off base here, though.  I am under the impression that if a
parent file is not BFC'd, then the renderer is supposed to treat all child
files as non-BFC'd.  In other words, a part can reference all the BFC'd
primitives in the world, but unless that part is BFC'd as well, all of the
primitives are treated as if they weren't BFC'd.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com