 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3292
Re: JAVA - Viewer for dat-Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:47:11 GMT

Bernd Broich wrote:

"Bernd Broich" <bernd.broich@online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:GqJq1r.7G4@lugnet.com...

I tried this out, and you can do it too: I added some code, that shares the
geometries, and the appearances as far as possible.
Just change in the Show-class every 'SubFile' to 'Element'. The coloring
doesn't work fine at the moment, but this doesn't matter to the problem
above.

The fact is: Loading is a little bit faster, but memory is used much more
and the drawing/rotating speed gets low.

The memory you save with the sharing of geometries get exhausted by the
memory that the shapes, the transformgroups and the appearances need.

I also tried out the stripifier, that cames with j3d:

A Model without stripifying needs about 34MB, with stripifying 134MB.

It's very interesting.

So the program itself without any model loaded allocates 16MB.

Hmmm. I haven't done any extensive testing, but I tried to load
a (relatively large) model into your app yesterday. It ran for
over an hour without displaying anything. Win2k Resized my pagefile
3 times, and the JVM got up to 300MB (my machine only has 128MB)
before I killed it.

I don't use the stripifier yet in my app, and mine is still slow,
but I have been able to load that model in 5-10 minutes, and less
than 150MB before with it (These numbers are from memeory I haven't
run it recently.)

Note I I'm not saying your's is bad, This model is hard to load. I
just think the differences are interesting.

If you have more info on this 'unexpected' memory usage of J3D,
please send it to me. I'd like to show it the few developers of J3D
that I know and see what think might be going on.

-Kyle

--
   _