 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2443
Re: Number for hoses/tubes ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:17:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Leonardo Zide wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss writes:

Are the old technic hoses the same hoses used in the classic space?  I
definitely don't have those numbers, either way.

They are the same.

Well, we've got those modeled in LDraw: 73590a.dat and 73590b.dat.

I'd really like to get the numbers for the source material (eg, a spool of
flex-tube); we could use those numbers as a base for length-specific
numbers.  But it's possible that numbers like this don't even exist --
maybe the hoses are cut to length as they come out of the extruder.

I also think that there are no standard numbers for the tubes but I need
something for LeoCAD. Can we use numbers from the 3 digits range ?

Note to all: There was further discussion of this topic offline, between
Leonardo, the 'numbers group', and myself.  Briefly, we discussed the
following facts and suppositions:

1. There are a large number of different tubing 'parts', which differ only
in length.
2. Because of the manufacturing processes, it's possible that there is no
"official generic number" for each length of tubing.
3. It would be good to have a numbering system that would associate all the
tubes of one type, and not exhaust the 3-digit part numbers.
4. LEGO measures these parts in millimetres.  Consistency is good.  We
should measure in millietres.
5. Also, these parts often have odd lengths; that is, their length may not
be an integral number of studs.  So measuring by studs would be less useful
than measuring in millimetres.

We came up with a system similar to the patterned part numbers.

A 3-digit part number will be assigned to each type of tubing.  Specific
part files will be named by combining the standard type-number with a
one-character suffix and the length of the tubing.

What wasn't at all decided was what to do if we ever came across official,
color-generic part numbers for one or more tube-parts.  My choice: cross
that bridge when we come to it; I don't think we'll ever come to it.

Another thing that wasn't decided: what letter do we use in the part
numbers, between the 3-digit type number and the length?  T (for tube) or H
(for hose) would be good, L (for length) would be more generic, but could
be confused with the digit 1. Maybe M (for measure) would work?

Steve