 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2060
Re: New Part - x518 Cannon Pirate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Austin Greenwood writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter writes:

I need some suggestions on category & keywords...

Category:

...Boat?...

I will use "Minifig Accessory" as Steve recommended.

cannon, cannons, cannonade, artillery,
pirate, Pirates, "man-o-war", Imperials,
"Wild West", cavalry, Castle, Ninja

ok.

Let me know if I need to change anything.

You need to re-orient the piece so that the "business end" (muzzle ;-)
is facing along the "Z"-axis, and not the "X"-axis.

Some of the pirate cannons i have in my collection have a small "seal"
or "coat of arms" on them in the form of two crossed cannons
inside a circle.  I only have two cannons in my collection that bear
this symbol, and i believe it is found on the top side of the part,
right above the "fuse hole". Any way, i thought that the part
might look better in povray when it was rendered if it had this detail
on it. Other then that, IT LOOKS O.K. TO ME. :-)

Some of the (non-firing) cannon did not have this emblem/seal/design
on them.  However, these were the impromptu, "de-weaponized" kind
that they produced before they finalized the (current) non-firing kind,
which does have this emblem you're talking about.

The cannons I have are the one piece design with the crossed cannon symbol
on them. I can do the logo, but it will not look very good rendered. I tried
to use as many POV substituted primitives in the parts as possible to make a
good looking part. The crossed cannons will be pieced together and will look
like odd either in POV or LDraw programs. I try to make parts that will look
good in both, but I usually favor POV if I have to make a choice.
You can expect the symbol to take a few weeks of "hit and miss" time.
If the symbol were flat instead of curved around the cannon, it would be
quick to do.

Now that I think about it, I'm quite certain that I posted a message
in the past few weeks (past few months?) enumerating the various parts
for the cannons, both firing and non-firing.  (Can't find them
right now, search feature temporarily disabled, sorry...)

yes, I believe you are correct.

Paul, is this supposed to be a _non-firing_ cannon?
(i.e., either the "Cannon Non-Firing One Piece", the current kind,
w/ the decoration, or "Cannon Non-Firing Multi-Part [shortcut/assembled]",
the other kind that I mentioned above...)

One piece :-) (without the decoration...)
I suppose it could be considered a "mock-up" without the symbol.

Thanks,
Franklin

Paul