 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1801
Re: repost: chains1.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Matt Schild writes:
Matt,
They're still type-"2" lines.
Franklin

<multiple deleted expletives>  I fixed this.
I've got no idea why it didn't post the right one...
let's try it again.

OK, technically they are type-"5" lines now,
but under super-magnification (zoom=20),
they _still_ show up as if they were _regular_ lines
(instead of _conditional_ lines).

Please forgive me if I'm being presumptuous,
but I'd like to offer this example
of how to use type-"5" lines
(which was given to me a while ago by Manfred;
if I screw this up, the fault is all mine, not his).

Click on this link (in a separate window, preferably):
"http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fwcain/lcad/example-type5lines.gif"
I'll be referring to this image.

Assume that the red line (from point 1 to point 2)
is the "edge" in question.  Let's further assume
that points 3, 1, and 4 are all on the same psuedo-"circle"
(REMEMBER that LDraw does NOT do true circles/curves;
instead, it does decimal approximations resulting
in hexadecagons [sp?] (what we call "16-agons").
So, let's assume that points 3 and 4 are the two points
in the psudo-curve on either side of point 1.

Point 1 is (x1, y1, z1), point 2 is (x2, y2, z2), and so on.

The type-"5" line would be "5 24 x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 x3 y3 z3 x4 y4 z4".

What this means (to LDraw) is "If points 3 and 4 will be
on the same side of the line drawn between points 1 and 2
when displayed on the computer screen, then actually draw
the line; otherwise DO NOT draw the line".

I hope this helps.

Franklin