 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 2021
Re: What'd Datsville look like?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:00:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Well I got bored tonight and the idea struck me to try again, seeing as I now
have processing power and memory on my computer.  This time I was smart and
rendered each indiviual section (15 in all).  Ever breaking it down into
smaller parts in order for the file to render, I had to turn off studs (this
with 1GB of RAM and virtual memory set at 4GB!).

The next major revision of LDView is far enough along to render Datsville.  (The
current version will crash no matter what your hardware is, while the new
version seems to only use around 170MB of RAM to display Datsville.)  It doesn't
do so at real usable frame rates (and presumably never will), but it does render
with low-res studs in less than 2 seconds per frame.

I'm not sure what version of Datsville I have, but here are the results (both
the same image; the first is PNG, the second is JPG):

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/Datsville.png
http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/Datsville.jpg

One of the houses didn't render properly, and came out all white.  Not sure what
caused that, but the new LDView code is very early, with very little testing.

--Travis Cobbs