 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1159
Re: beginnings of a walled town--definitely not a small file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 18:36:00 GMT

Wow, good start for a project...

Damien

--
Damien et Nathalie Duquennoy
26, rue du belvédère
Brian Sauls <barbcue@nospam.home.com> a écrit dans le message : FsDKup.F1o@lugnet.com...
Okay, reply to this one, it'll be easier.

Where to begin--probably at the beginning:  I was trying to represent my
downtown area in Ldraw when Jonathan remarked that nobody ever posted any
castle.  I don't know how true of a statement that is over the long run, but
recently we've seen more mecha and space creations.

So I decided to build a castle.  Then I decided to build a village.  Then I
figgered what the heck, I was going to wall in a city.

So here are my notes and obervations:

Overall:  I like LDraw because I can use pieces in ways that would not
normally be possible; I can make pieces almost any color I like; and I don't
have to buy a gazillion sets to build everything .  On the other hand, I
realize now why I am a townie and not primarily castle-oriented:  the sheer
amount & the no. of shapes and sizes of the bricks that I want to use in my
creations--sheesh!  But this was fun, and I do plan on finishing it.

Barbican:  Originally designed to be the centerpiece of the wall--this was
the first section I built.  I plan on tiling the area under the portcullis,
making the bottom beam of the portcullis a plate, not a brick, mebbe
changing the drawbridge to gates using the same style hinges, and when it's
finished, I'm going to mount a ballista (already drawn) on top.  I need to
add steps leading down to the wall section.

Cwall1:  Basic wall section--I don't know if I like the half-floors or
not--In terms of defense, I could pack more troops in there, but since I
only have two windows, what difference does it make.  On the uppermost
interior level, I don't like the fact that the upper and lower windows
aren't aligned with each other, but then again, I'm not sure.  I'll probably
align the windows and eliminate the middle floor.

Mtower:  Mid tower--designed simply as a hardpoint in the wall.  This is the
only place where I used actualy wall sections, and I don't like the way they
look with the rest of the wall.

Armory: (Orignally titled Gatehouse), after I realized that the barbican was
too small for the rest of the wall, I started this monstrosity.  It is the
largest model I have built with LDraw, at 800+ pieces.  Because of the piece
count, I did not bother placing crossbeams on the second floor--I would
rather stock it with weapon racks and armor.  I feel that I should make the
"penthouse" (armory2) taller, wider, and I should "un-square" the front of
the "penthouse"  with facets, but I thought I would get feedback first.  Due
to the shape of the building and my dislike for the wall pieces, I used an
extrodinary number of 5x5 facet bricks--to the point that they make my eyes
water if I look at them long enough.  If I ever decide to revamp this
building (Not likely!) I'll probably use the hinge method that I used in the
End Tower.

Etower:  End tower--this was the finaly piece I was working on.  All told,
this module has 8 different wall segments that allow me to connect at any
angle, including an exterior door so everybody doesn't have to enter through
the armory and go up.  The hole in the middle is for the stairway, and I
need to lay the interior flooring.  I am really pleased with the basic shape
of this module.  My only complaint is that my windows aren't centered, and
even that's starting to grow on me.

I believe that's everything.  Future goals are to revamp the modules as
specified, "stock" the rooms and halls with weapons and people, completely
enclose the city (which is in the planning stages), and building a keep that
will comprise the back wall of the city.

Whew!

Or I'll read a book.

Again, LMKWYT.

Thanks,

Brian (bbq) Sauls
(If I dropped/added a word or letter here or there, it's been a really long
week and I'm not focusing very well right now, so plz bear with me.)