 CAD / 9745
Re: A New LDraw editor.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:58:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dan Bennett writes:
I have attempted to make an LDraw editor.
Take a look only if you are interested in seeing an unfinished very Beta
program. Meaning it crashes a lot and most of it doesn't work. You should
still be able to load and edit files though.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/dtb9/glide_web/
I will eventually remove the pre inclusion of the PARTS directory as that's
bound to be going against some one from LDraws wishes. Its useful during
testing that's why its there at the moment.

Dan -
Great start! Thanks for posting this.

A couple very quick observations:

- I think you have the arrow keys backwards - Assuming a standard LDraw 3D
view with the X axis going down to the right, and the Z axis going up to the
right, Up/Down keys should move +/- Z, and Left/Right keys should move -/+
X, respectively.

- Do you support LEdit key commands? The original LDraw users are very tied
to these commands, and though it's legacy, I think they're important.

- I can't help but mentioning Artemis for the interface design. See this
site, I think it's a _very_ useful design study for a future LEGO CAD tool,
and would love to see some of it's ideas realized.

http://www.karimnassar.com/design/artemis/

Keep up the good work!

-Tim