 CAD / 9661
Re: Lego colors measured using a Pantone spectrometer...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:10:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Barile writes:
I just had a question for clarification. Are these color values as "seen" by
the spectrometer or the values as "seen" by the spectrometer then matched to
the closest Pan Tone Color? If the latter then perhaps these aren't valid
color values.
SteveB

Hi Steve (and everybody else who is interested),

I think I can answer that question. However, before I do I will explain why
I can. The week before Richard posted his result, I compared some bricks and
plates with a PANTONE book, so my results are based on visual comparing
instead of real measuring. Funny thing is, is that some results were the
same and some were different, but just a bit.
I checked the results in three programs: QuarkXpress (which gave very vivid
RGB colours), Adobe Photoshop (which uses a complex colour managing system
so the results depend a lot on the way you configure that) and Art Directors
Toolkit. The last gave the exact RGB values that Richard posted.

Therefore, Steve, the answer to your question is that the values returned by
the PANTONE spectrometer are (IMO) values closest to a PANTONE colour. This
is not a bad thing; there are thousands of PANTONE colours, so a colour
measured this way can differ slightly from the real thing, but probably not
visible.
But your concerns are not ungrounded: both Richard and I measured PANTONE
180C for red but this gives a very dull result in RGB (R189 G56 B38, which
means the colour is a bit greyish). So tweaking colours a bit in POV-Ray
isn’t a bad idea!

Happy rendering! Jeroen