 CAD / 9611
Re: converting SW assembly files to Ldraw??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:13:53 GMT

Hi Darrel

In lugnet.cad, Darrell Urbien writes:
You'd be surprised how many CAD users model LEGO using
other systems and then later find out about LDraw. There's no constraints or
assembly mates in LDraw though - at least not yet - so you probably won't be
leaving SW anytime soon. At least not for modeling/rendering/animation. The
LDraw family has really nice apps for instruction generation as you said. Plus
it would be nice to not have to model every part!

I totally agree!! Both programs have their own specific features, combining
in a way would be great!

I started another thread about this earlier (do a search for 3DWin). There are
links to other converters there. You'd probably have more success with STL2DAT,
which was created by a SolidWorks user. I'd be interested to know how it
handles really large assemblies.

Thanks for the advise! I'll have a look.

Have you created any exploded assembly animations of your models yet? They're
really impressive!

Thanks again! No I did not try that (yet). First of all I don't have much
experience with animations. Second, when I try this I really don't know if
my model explodes... or my computer :))

Nathanael