 CAD / 9537
Re: beginner's questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 06:16:30 GMT

Hi Andrew, thanks for all this info, it's really helpful. I am excited about
getting started with this :) When I made this post yesterday, I had followed
the mac link at ldraw.org and it said under construction, which was
discouraging. But I just checked it, and now there's real site there :) Thanks
again, Cyndi

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Allan writes:
Hi Cynthia,

It's good to see another Mac modelller out there.

Basically at the moment, running MacOS X you have 3 choices.

LdGLite
Ldraw Viewer
BrickDraw3D

LdGLite. This the most advanced we presently have, but it's a direct port
from a PC program. Additionally, it doesn't work on all versions of MacOS X
as Apple broke the code for GLUT. I believe that it works on either 10.1.5
(and earlier) or 10.2.2 (and later). Jaguar 10.2 is the problem. Because
LdGLite is a PC port it is very un-Mac like and initially confusing, but if
you persist it can be quite rewarding.

Ldraw Viewer. It is diffucult to be objective here (since I am the author),
but this is a true Mac application and also a work in progress. It's quick
and largely intuative, using the mouse for most operations. However I have
discovered a few minor bugs in the current release and a new release with
newer features and quashed bugs will be out in a few days.

BrickDraw3D. I haven't run this program since it migrated to MacOS X so I
really can't comment.

The Mac portion of www.ldraw.org is a good site for info - especially the
part downloading which I initially found confusing.

Another good source of independent Mac knowledge can be found at

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/lego.htm

Once again, welcome

Andrew...

In lugnet.cad, Cynthia Bradham writes:
I am a Mac user interested in starting to use some form of LDraw. I have looked
a several websites about the different programs and getting started, but they
are mostly oriented for PCs. I am not sure how many programs are needed. What
is the best set up for Mac OSX? Or would I be better off downloading PC
programs for modeling and rendering, and then running them on virtual PC? I
have used computers alot, but I know nothing about programming, do I need to? I
will be grateful for any advice, thanks.