 CAD / 9335
Re: Help with MLCAD Spring Generator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Marc Klein writes:
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:15:13 GMT, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:

I'm a little bit confused with the values for the MLCAD Spring Generator. I
find the total height value, enter it in, and the spring it generates is
actually 2 LDU longer than what I entered, even with no start revolutions. I
add start revolutions and it increases the length of the spring. So, in
essence, the total height field is a misnomer, since it doesn't function the
way the diagram illustrates or how one would assume. Is there any rhyme or
reason for this? Marc or Michael, could you please offer some help?

Yes Tim, your are right, the diagram is false. The total height is for the distance between the fiber of the highest and
lowest turn of the revolution section of the spring.
I will look with Michael to change the dialog for the next version.
I intend also to update the spring generator to handle the new hard springs used in the big thechnic sets like the F1
Racer

Hi Marc -
Thanks for the help!

So, I did that... since my small diameter is 2 LDU, I subtracted the number
of start revolutions I had times that value so H - 12, and it still came up
2 LDU short of the total height I wanted. This is odd. It's not a big deal,
cause it can be tweaked, but I wonder if there's some pattern, or some way
it can be explained.

And I'm not quite familiar with the new spring you're talking about...but I
don't own an F1 :\

Thanks again.

-Tim