 CAD / 8981
Re: Cut and Paste question. Was: LDDP Feature Request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
There is one thing I'd like to see in LDDP (and this time it's not already
there!)

Since at least 14 years back, I use Ctrl+Ins, Shift+Ins, and Shift+Del for
copying, pasting and cutting text. It works with almost any DOS or Windows
application but not LDDP. And it's really frustrating when I first get
nothing at all, and then I get some older clip, often very large, instead of
the clip I thought I've copied...

Sorry to butt in on this LDDP question, but since I recently added cut
and paste to ldglite I'd like to know about this as well.  I thought the
standards for cut and paste on Windows were:
Ctrl-X = Cut
Ctrl-C = Copy
Ctrl-V = Paste
I use these all the time in Windows so that's what I implemented.  I was
unaware there was another standard in use as well.  Is this a Borland vs
Microsoft thing?  What programs use these other shortcut keys?

I think most programs implement both, although they only show the newer
Ctrl+C/X/V etc in the menus.
A new MFC applications automatically implements both.

As I remember, the Ins+Del was defined in the good old
Common User Access (CUA) 1989 by IBM for OS/2 and
was also used in the very first Windows versions.

I think the popularity of the Mac shortcuts (Command+C/X/V)
made many programs support these too, and finally emphasize them.

So the answer is, you should support these:
Ctrl+Ins or Ctrl+C      Copy the selected text to the clipboard
Shift+Del or CtrlX      Delete the selected text and put it on the clipboard
Shift+Ins or Ctrl+V     Paste text from the Clipboard into window
Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace Undo the last editing action

The CUA 1989 also defined F1 (Help), Alt+F4 (Close), Ctrl+F4 (Close in MDI),
F5 (Refresh), Shift+F10 (Context Menu (has now its own key on many keyboards)).
/Lars