 CAD / 8624
Re: Lego patent issued
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:44:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Erik Olson writes:

* encoding bits in the data structure to represent a spatial
transformation of the second system of co-ordinates relative to the
first system of co-ordinates, which transformation is not constrained
to integer displacements;

I'm not any kind of a lawyer, nor am I knowledgeable about patents, but this
part sounds somewhat disturbing.  The way I read it, this point/claim
involves taking two (studs-up) subassemblies, and placing the second
subassembly at any position and angle relative to the first subassembly (in
short, SNOT building).

Constraining the representation in this way is perhaps less efficient than
allowing any part to be mounted in any way, but the end results are the same
(if you allow the degenerate case of 1-part subassemblies).

But maybe I'm mis-reading the verbiage.

Steve