 CAD / 8309
Re: Precision in .DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:52:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Marek Idec writes:
Dear All,
I didn't find in LDraw file format specification anything about a precision
used in  co-ordinates and scaling parameters. In most of files I found
precision maximum 4 digits  after decimal point. I'm pretty sure that I saw
a file with 6 digits precision.
Are there any formal limitations regarding precision? What is reasonable choice?

Another question related to this subject. If one uses only lines, triangles
and quads in created part, then is very easy to judge whether there are gaps
between them or no. What about other primitives used, especialy transformed
(scalled, rotated etc.)? How to stick other vertices to them? What is the
maximum distance between two points to be considered as one point?

Regards

Marek Idec

For parts, three decimal places is generally considered acceptable.
Primitives are usually coded with four decimal places of precision, so that
they can be scaled-up by a factor of 10 without degrading the precision
below three decimal places. IMHO, six decimal places is overkill.

Hope this helps, Chris