 CAD / 8013
Re: Basic SET DAT database?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:09:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeff McClain writes:
Is there a good organized location off of the set inventory/database that
has LDRAW .dat files of models?  I would be willing to submit some built
straight from my constructopedias if there were.  It just seems like it
would be very nice if (especially some of the older models that have all the
basic peices fully modeled and rendered) there was a link to download .dat
files for the various sets pages.  Personally, I was looking to buy set 8446
from someone on EBAY, but they didn't have the build instructions, and
Brickshelf didn't have the scanned build instructions yet.

A while back ldraw was going to have a page for people to submit older lego
offical model.  However, the debate of how to name the models was never
agreed upon and since then nothing became of it.  I'm getting OLD and
SINICAL about these things but I wish you LOTS of luck trying to get
cooperation for this to happen.  The best way, IMO, is to start asking for
people to give YOU their offical models and create a folder in brickshelf
with a) a small image of the model and the ldraw file.

On a related note, does anyone know why more recent models (1999 and newer)
do not have scanned build instructions on the brickshelf site?  I can
understand if it is an agreement with LEGO not to undermine their sales of
"currently available" models, but many from 1999 can't even be gotten from
LEGO anymore.  If it is a matter of someone submitting the scans, then I
wish they would tell me HOW, and I would!  I looked all over that site and
couldn't find even a darn "contact" email address...

Jeff McClain

I'm not sure the reason but I would image what you stated above it probably
true.  In any case here is the contact info I could find for brickshelf.com

Registrar Information of domain name brickshelf.com
   Registrant:
    Brickshelf L.L.C.
    4100 Lafayette Center Dr. #103
    Chantilly, VA 20151