 CAD / 7912
7911  |  7913
Subject:
How to make images for a LMwalk Tour.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 22:11:46 GMT

Hello to all I just finnish making my first tutorial hope you can follow it
don't worry about my mistakes here it is.
How to make images for a LMwalk Tour.

Note: This is a tutorial for PC users only
sorry MAC users I'm a PC user and I don't
know anything about MAC platform but you
are all wellcome to read the tutorial and
If you can follow it you will find how to
do the same with you MACs ;-)

What you need:

Hardware:

A simple computer PC
With lets say 32/64 MB of RAN nim
recomended 128/256 MB of RAM
any CPU none important.

Software:

Os:

Windows 9X/NT/2K/XP
MS-DOS/Command Prompt

Programs:

MLCAD
L3P
LDRAW "the parts lib"
POV-RAY 3.1g

Step 1.

Open MLCAD now put a piece of LDRAW or LEGO in
" Baseplate 32 x 32 " and place it in " X=0 Y=0 Z=0 "
then select color 2 " green " nice hehe now
add a Brick 2 x 4 and place it in " X=0 Y=-24 z=200"
then you can add more parts or just go to next step.
Note leave empty 3 studs from the center if you
want to add more parts.

    0
    0
    0
000X000
    0
    0
    0

X = center of 32 x 32 baseplate

Step 2.

Now you are ready to convert your model in to POV
use this Commandline

l3p nameofmodel.ldr -b9 -l -f -q2

now I'm not good with L3P or POV-RAY
so if you want you can use want ever you want
but for this tutorial lets use this as is easy
and we will have to  modify the camera but
first lets convert the ldraw model to POV format.
Now open a MS-DOS or a Command prompt window
under windows go to you l3p dir you know " cd.. cd lego ... "
now in l3p dir type

l3p nameofmodel.ldr -b9 -l -f -q2

That with step 2.

Step 3.

Again we need MLCAD to place the camera location and the
views " front, back, left, right " insert a brick 1 x 1
in "X=0 Y-72 Z=0" now I use -72 as the altitud of a minifig
but this may be is not the correct altitud for a first person
minifig size view. Now add 4 bricks 1 x 1 like in this places

1st one. front =  X=0   Y=-72 Z=60
2nd one. back  =  X=0   Y=-72 Z=-60
3th one. left  =  X=-60 Y=-72 Z=0
4th one. right =  X=60  Y=-72 Z=0

Now you have to copy each piece location in to notepad or pov-ray
that way you know each location and you can use them as look_at
in POV-ray.
Well that's another step done.

Step 4.

Now open the POV-RAY model then go to nearly the end down
and where "location vaxis_rotate(<" replace the firs 3
numbers with <0,-72,0> that's the location now we will
replace the look_at with this mini code LOL then we can
just seat and wait to finnish rendering without having
to make this 4 times.

        look_at <0,-72,60> //This is the front view
#if (clock > 1)
look_at <0,-72,-60> //This is the back view
#end
#if (clock > 2)
look_at <-60,-72,0> //This is the left view
        #end
#if (clock > 3)
look_at <60,-72,0> //This is the right view
        #end

where angle put 90 I think that is better that the default one

That's it now make sure you have in the povray.ini this

Initial_Clock = 1
Final_Clock = 4

Initial_Frame = 1
Final_Frame   = 4
Cyclic_Animation = on

Now once you have that close the ini file and set a res of 320 x 240
with what ever quality you want and then render it.
Once you have it done you will have 4 bmps now rename then like this

model1.bmp ->  spot1f.bmp
model2.bmp ->  spot1b.bmp
model3.bmp ->  spot1l.bmp
model4.bmp ->  spot1r.bmp

now you have a spot done you can do more by repeting the
steps and using diferent locations the next step is not important
but you may follow it if you want.

Step 5.

Cool eh? well there is more you can make you own game or LMwalk Tour
with you models but if you don't know anything about programming
you can just send the images to me and tell me how you want you
spots to be so you can walk around the LMwalk tour.
Well all for now I as I don't like to write tutorials but I enjoeyed it
as much I enjoeyed making LMwalk Tours

CU

Eduardo Vazquez

eduvazhar@terra.es