 CAD / 7666
Re: Aluminum 2x4 bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:43:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Since the design I based the part on is based on 1/16" = 4 LDU...

Bram,

The metric I use is 1 LDU = 1/64".  Here's how I derived it.
The classic 2x4 brick is one and a quarter inches long (1.25")
and is 80 LDU long.  Thus, 80 LDU = 1.25" = 5/4".  Dividing both
sides by 80 gives 1 LDU = 5/320" = 1/64".  Hope this helps!

Which is my round-about way of saying, "Your figures/calculations
look OK to me"...  :-/  No idea why it isn't working for you.  Sorry...

Someone, long ago, posted measurements they took which have a better basis
for accuracy in my view. The memory is hazy but I think what they did was
build a very long wall, ensured it was linear, and measured stud center to
stud center across hundreds of studs, as accurately as they could. They also
measured the interbrick gap fairly accurately. (which is non zero!!! else
stuff could not be assembled)

A careful dredge using a clever search string should find the post, if I am
not misremembering and it was actually posted to RTL. I can't be sure. (1)

But their results were that 1 LDU is NOT exactly 1/64th of an inch. Which
Bram seems to have borne out experimentally. Since AL has a lot less "give"
than plastic you would have to get the dimensions exactly right for it to
interoperate correctly.

IIRC the results are that the dimensions are expressed in mm, rather than
imperial units.

1 - searching using the following search string:
http://news.lugnet.com/?q=brick+dimension+measurement+wall&s=r

turned up these posts:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=27616
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=5724
http://news.lugnet.com/faq/?n=683 (which describes using a wall and measuring)

You may be able to do better in your search.

++Lar