 CAD / 7252
Re: HELP Ldraw Installation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:47:51 GMT

Nope the file is NOT corrupt.  I download an extra copy just in case.  The
reason behind the failure after many hours of hitting my self on the head is
the following!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UPDATE MICROSOFT CRITICAL PATCHES AND NOT COMPLETE
THEM!  Two days ago I ran the MS Critical Updater file to install the
lastest updates fOR MS Windows 2K and IE6.  1/2 thru the download I got
disconnected and the patch was only half way done doing the installation.
The application asked me to uninstall the patch and get it again.  No
problem.  I was a bit pissed off but I figure I let it run over night.  I
downloaded the crictical updates a second time and it compelted them without
any problems or so I though.

After much fussing around yesterday with the regedit I discovered that the
first patch processes was still on my system trying to connected to the MS
server and tieing up resources!  I UNISTALLED THIS BAS BOY BUT IT HAD A MIND
OF ITS OWN.  I could not unistall hit or delete him as WINDOWS keep telling
me that the prcoess was busy!  Finally I emailed MS about this and they told
me that in order to kill it I had to insert my win2K CD and tell the PC to
upgrade from Win2K to win2K.  This would keep all my setting (deskto theme,
files, etc.) but would clear all the windows registery of any lingering
processes.

SO the moral of the story is:
DO NOT DOWNLOAD CRITICAL UPDATES AND NOT COMPELTED THEM!
-AHui