 CAD / 7180
7179  |  7181
Subject:
Mac News sites pulish info about LDMC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:38:57 GMT

I have written a little article, and it is getting published in Mac news sites.

Here are some news sites that have published it (that I know of--macworld
published it on their own, so this is now a ball rolling down a hill...).

http://www.mactech.com/news/mt-news-detail.mgi?id=00000490b873c1ce
http://www.macfixit.com/archives/january.02.c.shtml#new-01-22
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/24.lego.php

The following is also located at:
http://homepage.mac.com/ldmc/press.html

I have been getting TONS of emails... many requests to join (to fast for me to
keep up), and many suggestions (someone had a simple application they wrote in
REALbasic that might be extended), and several more programmers.

Yippee!

----

LEGO enthusiasts want modeling software on their Macs!

James Jessiman was the first to write a freeware LEGO modeling application for
DOS, called LDraw.  Included with the application was a library of common LEGO
bricks modeled in 3D.  To build virtual LEGO models with LDraw, one by one, you
picked a brick and then navigated the brick using arrow keys.  After making a
model, you could use LDraw to create a graphic image of the model.

Quite a community grew around this basic application and since then more robust
editors with mouse dragging controls and multiple angle views have been written.
Nearly all of the LEGO parts have been modeled.  POV-Ray converters were also
written which made it easy to create life-like LEGO model images.  With these
tools people with too much fun-time have created fantastic models that would
cost a fortune in real LEGO bricks.  Some have even created animations using
these tools (see: http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/space/download.html and
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=10505)

The flagship for LDraw, located at http://www.ldraw.org/, has all the resources
needed to download and find information how to use LDraw. They have also had
monthly competitions since late 1999 for models and scenes rendered with POV-Ray
or other raytracers.  Some of the winning images include garden scenes,
cathedrals, sky scrapers, hot rods, helicopters, dragons, and a variety of
spacecraft, both homemade and from productions like Star Wars, Star Trek, and
Battlestar Galactica.

However, to this date, there is no editor on the Mac platform. Either Mac users
have used Virtual PC, had to get a PC, or have just gone without.  LDraw for the
Macintosh Campaign (LDMC, located at http://homepage.mac.com/ldmc) is a group of
Mac users who want virtual LEGO modeling applications on the Macintosh.  The
group has been going since early 2000 and currently has 53 members who have
expressed a desire to have a Mac LEGO modeler.

LDMC was founded by users who knew relatively little about programming for the
Mac.  The assumption was that there were all kinds of Windows and DOS
programmers who were generous enough to make all of these freeware applications
and that there were no Mac programmers.  Since then, I have learned that there
are plenty of Mac programmers, they just live in a different world (one could
just call it ADC).

The plea of LDMC is for Mac programmers to discover the world of virtual LEGO
modeling!  (so the rest of us can enjoy it too!)

--

Thanks:

James Reynolds, Matthew Gerber, LDMC leaders.
http://homepage.mac.com/ldmc