 CAD / 6980
Re: Changing the Edge Color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:06:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:Gp1x0A.Hnr@lugnet.com...

I'm a little hazy here because I don't think I HAVE an Ldraw.ini on my
machine, and I think this isn't documented well. Some searching on • ldraw.ini
in the cad newsgroups may be your best bet. But I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!

ldraw.ini is not documented to my knowledge, if it is, its documented in
LDAO.  To my understanding, LDAO installs ldraw.ini and other programs draw
from it.  Other than that, I know little about it, I've tweaked it a bit
before, but that was a few years ago and I don't remember a lot about it.

It should be better documented.

Well never mind. It was a false memory.

Gyug told me about how to change edge colors in LDLite but I forgot.

For LDLite you can put the 0 COLOR lines in an ldliterc.dat file
to use them with all your models.  (But that won't help in MLCAD)
Here's a recent thread on the subject.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=6678

Sun (or anyone interested):

try putting this in your .dat file

0 COLOR 4 0x4000000 0xcc 0x00 0x00 0xff 0xcc 0x00 0x00 0xff

When LDLite renders a model (if you're using 2.3.. maybe earlier too) it
will render red parts with black edge lines instead of pink for the rest of
the model after it encounters that line.

Another example:

0 Let's redefine Blue to use black edges
0 The syntax of a color definition is:
0 0 COLOR index name edge_color r g b alpha d_r d_g d_b d_alpha
0 The index is an index into the color palette.  Ldlite allows
0 you to use the numbers 0 to 255.  By default, the numbers
0 from 0 to 64 are defined to match LDRAW's, the rest are
0 currently undefined.
0 LDRAW used the numbers from 256 to 511 to represent dithered
0 combinations of the first 16 palette entries.  You can still
0 use the numbers from 256 to 511 in your models, but to make
0 life easier, LDLITE allows you to set palette entries to
0 dithered combinations directly. The COLOR command expects
0 two sets of rgb values which it will dither.
0 For solid colors, set both r,g,b,a and d_r,d_g,d_b,d_a to the
0 same values and no dithering will occur.
0 Alpha should be 255 (or 0xff) for opaque colors.
0 For transparent colors, set d_alpha (i.e. on the dithered color) to 0.
0 If you set alpha to zero on both colors, nothing will be drawn at all.
0 I'm re-using the default r,g,b values for blue, which can be
0 found in the ldlite source file "stub.c" near the top.
0 0 COLOR 1 Blue 0 255 153 0 0 255 153 0 255

I don't think this works in MLCad though. At least it doesn't in my install.

Note that I use LDLite for final rendering due to the edge line thickening
feature that LDLite introduced in 2.3... which is on sourceforge.