 CAD / 5797
Re: idea for a new version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Rolf Redford writes:
yes that idea would work very well. for example it would allow me to rotate
xwing wings really easily!
  Using a sub-model with MLCAD, you can set the rotation center for the
sub-model and achieve this.  I use this technique on legs.

  Visio has a function similar to this.  Parts can be defined with connection
points.  These connection points snap together and act much like described.  I
see a couple of problems with using this approach in LEGO CAD.  First, not all
connection points are compatible.  You have different types of connections.
For example, stud/hole, clip/rod, stud-thick-rod/hole (minifig head), several
hinge variants,...  Each of these type of connections would have to be handled
seperately.  My thought is to assign codes to them.  You can specify a point on
a piece and the type of connection that point supports.  Then, only a point
specified as the mating type would snap with it.  Maybe specify male points as
+1, +2, ... and female as -1, -2,...  (please, no one interpret anything into
which gender gets +/-).

  Then there is the problem of rotation.  I'm not sure how to handle that.

  Thoughts?

Later,
Gino A...