 CAD / 5727
Re: Circular Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:18:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, John Kennedy wrote:

hi,

I have been using mlcad for just over two months, so i'm not fully clued up
yet. I need to make a part which is a wide diameter cylinder. I have managed
to do so by creating a 24 sided polygon and extruding it. However due to its
size, the straight sides are plainly visible. Is there any way to produce a
'pure' circle and then extrude it, or to create a cylinder in one go?

You can try using the 48-segment primitives in the ldraw/p/48 directory.
The cylinder primitive is 1-4cyli.dat.  The easiest way to code this up is
in a text editor, but you should be able to do it through MLCAD as well.

The code to make a complete cylinder is:

1 16 0 0 0  R 0  0 0 H 0  0 0  R 48\1-4cyli.dat
1 16 0 0 0  0 0  R 0 H 0 -R 0  0 48\1-4cyli.dat
1 16 0 0 0 -R 0  0 0 H 0  0 0 -R 48\1-4cyli.dat
1 16 0 0 0  0 0 -R 0 H 0  R 0  0 48\1-4cyli.dat

Where R is the radius of the cylinder, and H is the height.

Steve

Thanks for that, i managed to do that and it looks a lot better. Just one
more thing for now, I take it that to make ends for the 'tube' I use
'1-4disc.dat' but how do i manipulate it, whenever I change any values it
goes haywire. I'd be grateful if you could email me with the sort of thing
above.

thanks

John