 CAD / 5692
Re: Parts Library License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:12:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Santiágo Peresón writes:
In lugnet.cad, Leonardo Zide writes:
Here's what I hope to be the final version of the license. Let me know
if you have any comments, if nobody wants to change anything it will
become the official license (that's why I'm cross posting to several
newsgroups).

(maybe this has been discussed around here... if so, please kindly forget
this message)

why don't you GPL it?

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

the GNU GPL & LGPL licenses are quite developed, well known, and free for
all. you've got lots of info and experience from other developers that use
it, and quite a lot of precedents should a problem arise. developers wanting
to link to the parts lib would probably know what to expect from it, etc.

i'm not affiliated in any way with GNU, other than respecting most of the
things they do, and using lots of GPL-ed soft.

I support the license Leonardo posted.

I oppose use of LGPL (the appropriate one of the two given the scope)
because it "pollutes" derivative works. I do not want to see everyone in a
position where they HAVE to give away whatever they did that uses the
library, including images generated with it.

++Lar