 CAD / 555
Re: Rotating a part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:28:28 GMT

This seems designed to rotate points given an angle and a rotation axis.
I'm trying to determine what angle(s) to use given a line between two
points.  Also, I'm not a programmer, so I'm basically stuck with formulas I
can use in a spreadsheet.

Perhaps being more specific will help.  Each segment of the flexible hose is
a cylinder with a hemisphere sticking out the bottom end.  The insertion
point is at the "apex" of the hemisphere.  The cylinder is oriented around
the y axis.  To look right, each segment should be oriented around a line
from its own insertion point to the insertion point of the next segment.

Using a beizier spline formula, I have calculated the insertion points of
all 50 segments of the hose.  I have also used Linc's spreadsheet (and your
e-mail on the subject) to enable me to transform the part given angles of
rotation about x,y, and z axes.  The "missing link" is that my initial
attempt to calculate how many degrees to rotate each segment (and on what
axes) was incorrect.  At this point, it's more a math question than a
computer graphics question.  Or, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way
and there is a way to transform the part directly based on it's insertion
point and the next insertion point.

-John Van

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36a76ead.7975214@lugnet.com>...
On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:00:57 GMT, "John VanZwieten"