 CAD / 5416
5415  |  5417
Subject:
On the difficulty of making building instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:35:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On the difficulty of making building instructions:

Last sunday I spent most of the day (except for a few hours out
in the snow) showing my cousins how to make - or should I say
_draw_ - building instructions on a computer.

Personally I use vi+ldglite for this (yes, I know I should swap
vi for Emacs), but that is not really an option for kids who
haven't learned to do three dimensional geometry, matrices,
vectors and all that.

We - or rather they - also tried with MLCAD, and even though
they practically could compete with me in speed, the quality
(mostly lack of alignment) gave them some problems.

This lead me to lie sleepless most of the night trying to
figure out how to solve this problem. So far I have come to the
conclusion that our problem is that we attempt to _draw_
instead of _build_ - we move the parts around until the drawing
looks right, whereas we with the real thing have the benefit of
connecting the parts to each other.

I will see if I can get any further with this, when I have a
bit more time (read: when I have handed in my PhD thesis).

Play well,

Jacob
--
Still .sig hunting.