 CAD / 4413
4412  |  4414
Subject:
LDView full-screen TEST: feedback required
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:07:11 GMT

I have created a test version of LDView which runs full-screen.  Please
note, this is NOT the same thing as adding full-screen support to LDView.
Since this is my first attempt at a full-screen Windows program, I need your
feedback in order to do that.  The test version is hard-coded to use 640x480
resolution with 16bit color.  It can be downloaded from:

http://home.san.rr.com/tcobbs/LDView/LDVTest.zip

WARNING!!!  If you encounter problems running this program, you may have to
reboot your computer in order to recover.  It works fine on my computer with
an nVidia TNT-based video card, but this does not mean it will work fine on
your computer.  Before you run it, please note that the Escape key exits
(Alt-F4 also works).  Also, if 0.6.4 runs for you, any preference setting
you make in 0.6.4 will be used when you run the full-screen test.  You
cannot change any preference settings in the full-screen test.

Discovering how/whether it works on a variety of video cards is what this
test is for.  I would appreciate it if I could get answers to the following
questions from users of as many different video cards as possible.  (If you
have the same video card/OS combination as a previously posted reply and get
the same results, there's no need to post your own response.  I have
provided my own answers to all the questions based on the results on my
computer.)

1. What kind of video card do you have?
    One with Riva TNT chip.

2. What OS are you running (95/98/NT4/Win2000)?
    Windows 98.

3. Did the program work?
    Yes.

4. If it didn't work, does it work when you drag and drop a DAT/MPD file
onto the executable?  (I added command line file specification, so a drag
and drop from explorer onto either the program or a shortcut to it should
open the specified file.)
    It worked, but drag and drop worked also.

5. If LDView 0.6.4 works on your computer, does this full-screen version
produce faster frame rates?  (Make sure frame rate is enabled in 0.6.4, and
it will be enabled in the full-screen test as well.)
    Marginally.

6. Does Alt-Tab work to switch away from the program (ie, does it switch
away, and is your desktop properly restored to the proper resolution?)
    Yes, although the active window on the desktop may be shrunk to fit in
640x480.

7. If Alt-Tab works, can you successfully switch back to the program by
clicking on its entry in the task bar?
    Yes.

8. If you can switch back, does it properly switch back to 640x480 mode?
    Yes.

Note that I have directed all replies to this post to go to the
lugnet.cad.dev newsgroup.  Thanks in advance for your help.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)