 CAD / 421
Re: CyberMaster building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:20:40 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:00:14 GMT, Laurentino Martins
<lau@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

Has anyone drawn the CyberMaster unit or is working on it (to avoid
duplication of efforts) ?

No and I don't know.  No one has indicated their intent to work on this
part at the L-Draw Parts Tracker,
<http://www3.hmc.edu/~zbenz/parttracker/partlist.shtml>.

By the way, what's a good way to create a new part?

Depends on your background and skills.  I mostly use a text editor.
Some people use a spreadsheet.  Some people use CAD tools (when they
have something to export to DAT format).

I'm imagining using LEdit to build the part from other parts and going
to some CAD program and merge all those parts into one.

While it is possible to do that, it's usually more trouble than it's
worth.  Because it's a pain to figure out which primitives must be
removed.

What's the usual method for doing this?

Use LDAO (<http://home.att.net/~blisses/ldaddon.html>).  It has a text
editor which includes LDraw-specific tools.

The couple of times I tried to create new parts by combining other
parts, it was a real mess.  I'd suggest you copy each of the 'source'
parts to new, individual files.  Then delete the stuff you don't need
from these files.  Then inline (or copy-n-paste) everything into a
single file.

Another question, is there any tutorial that teaches how to use LEdit
(or other tool) with TECHNIC parts? I mean, they are much more difficult
to work with that standard LEGO.

I don't think so.  That's a good idea, though.

Steve