 CAD / 4204
4203  |  4205
Subject:
Advanced User/Beginning User Sections at ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:33:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey..

I've been doing a lot of thinking on how to improve the site based on
discussions I had last week at Kidvention and with a few people who have a
real interest in making it as easy as possible for new users to get into
LDraw.  What the general sentiment is would be some new user/advanced user
sections of the site - essentially two main pages.  I like this idea.  What
I'm planning on doing is:

Adding quick links to get started and download the latest parts update right
above the news column, in an icon form (creative minifig icon, most likely),
and a link to an 'advanced user' section.  I feel that an advanced user
section would need some kind of editor for it, updating news, software
available, etc.  The new user section would pretty much be static, except when
newer software versions come out.  Also, the new user section would be a lot
more tutorial-like and walking people through the process of setting up and
explaining exactly what LEdit and MLCad entail.  Thoughts, ideas, feedback?

I'd like to talk to a few people if possible who would be interested in
spending about an hour a week editing an advanced user section - with info,
tips, etc - kinda like the feature articles we have been doing, but a bit more
focused and a bit more brief.  Anyone?

Also, it would be nice to have a way to refer to Lugnet articles in a compact
preview manner like Todd does for Lugnet off-site - so one could call up a
certain post to a group and a script would feed that site content.  I've
emailed Todd about this.  This way whoever is editing could refer to a post or
series of posts without copying content, or making just a title link to it -
the reader can have a preview of what has been written.

Making these changes to the site I think is a necessary part of the site's
growth, and an important way to help new users get more into it without such a
high learning curve.  Please send feedback.  I'll be working on this a bit
tonight as I kinda simultaneously experiment in Dreamweaver.  Feel free to
email me as well to talk about this.  I'd like to get something like this up
within a few days to a week.

-Tim

Message has 2 Replies:
  Re: Advanced User/Beginning User Sections at ldraw.org

(...) You mean something like this: (URL) I like the idea of a beginner section. Maybe even a newbe forum that some of the oldtimers could monitor. (24 years ago, 21-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)
  Re: Advanced User/Beginning User Sections at ldraw.org

Yeah, Sounds like a great idea! Mike (24 years ago, 22-Jul-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)