 CAD / 393
Re: Good graphical modelling tools?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:45:11 GMT

I use Linux and Windows and was looking for a good tool for making new
parts for LDraw.  LDLite and LDAO are okay, but I would really like a • way to
rotate the model on the fly (so I can render the part in LDLite then use • my
mouse to rotate the viewpoint).

Also it would be nice if the program could display coordinates of
points as you moved the mouse over them (I make all the lines in the
model >then fill in the faces after I have the lines to show the
outline).

I think you'll have to write that program yourself - it doesn't exist
yet.  Maybe someone's working on something like that but I doubt it.
Great idea though!

Finally, is there a good program to construct models with from their
component parts?  I have played with LeoCAD a bit and I like it except • for the
import mechanism from LDraw. I will probably stick with it but it is a • little
annoying to use.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

BlockCAD has a limited number of pieces, but if you want to build houses
and similar objects it would probably work very well.
LEdit (comes with LDraw) is probably the best way to go.  If you don't
know how to use it, you can check out:
http://library.advanced.org/20551/
I hope that helps!
--Bram