 CAD / 2830
Re: Dat explorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:23:32 GMT

Povray sucks up 800+MB of virtual memory while parsing
Datsville. If we saved some of those memory structures as binary maped
files
and povray could work against those the next time it rendered, It should
speed
it up alot.  I'm assuming that most of the time consumed is setting up
arrays in memory
derived from the parsed input.

KL

John VanZwieten wrote:

There is no simple way how to do this.
POV-Ray is an offline program which reads
its input, computes a pretty output and
terminates. There is an animation loop,
but it is based on reparsing the scene.

I noticed some debates on a binary format
(this is probably what you mean) but it
was never implemented (binary triangle
meshes are the only exception). Anyway,
a binary format would not lead to a
significant parsing speedup.

You asked for "any way". OK, there is a
way how to do a camera animation without
reparsing the scene. This requires some
programming. You have to write a program
which mimicks POV-Ray but keeps running
unless told to terminate. Such an
interactive POV-Ray must have an option
to parse a new file after rendering a
frame, without destroying the original
scene which is still in memory. The new
file will contain just the new camera.
That's it.

(from Tomas Plachetka )

-John Van

That last part sounds like essentially the same thing except I want to
save the "scene" as
a huge binary file.  That way the program doesn't have to parse every
time it's accidentially
killed.

KL