 CAD / 2828
Re: Dat explorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John VanZwieten writes:
A few suggestions:
Ability to look NW,NE,SW,SE, or even better input degrees of rotation, with 0
being north.
Ability to move by user-adjustable amount.  It's irritating when it takes 5
moves just to get inside the building.

This is possible, but you would loose most of the benifit of "caching" the
previously rendered images, since there would be so much freedom. I'll start
with adding larger jump options for the movements.  By keeping those factors of
50 it won't create new views.  I would also like to have relative controls
(left,right, forward, reverse) instead of n,s,e,w.  That would add significant
calculations to the shell script and would probably require moving it to C.

Some way of giving model authors credit on the page.

That's actually not that hard to do.

Increase the value of "amb" in the pov file to brighten the models.

Ok, I'm just learning povray syntax so I'll look at it.
does "amb" work everywhere? even inside closed spaces?
right now I'm using one light source in the "flashlight" position.
That's the only way I know to guarantee ilumination in every space.

I imagine you already have some of this stuff in the works.  Great start!

Another possible future enhancement would be the ability to accept any .dat
file as input, on the fly.  It would be pretty awesome if someone could click
on a Datsville image map and have that .dat file loaded into Dat Explorer for
a virtual tour.

Well, you could manually change the hyperlinks to call the appropriate
model name (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/mkpov.cgi?model=grnhouse would
call up the green house model).
Currently adding a dat file requires running it through l3p, which only
runs on wintel.  After that I strip everything after the object line,
and an entry has to be made in (internal) models.txt with the model name,
starting coordinates and look coordinates, url for linking to source, etc.

That's not exactly an automatic process.  I suppose if l3p was ported to
FreeBSD I could automate it with a temporary model name.

Do you have any idea what POV-Ray is actually doing when it is "parsing"?  It
occured to me that if parsing is model- rather than view-dependent,
theoretically parsing could be done just once, which would greatly reduce
render time.  This is probably a question for the POV-Ray newsgroups.

It is definately not view dependent.  I'm going to go through the povray
source and figure out what if anything can be saved to a binary file after
parsing to bypass those steps in subsequent rendering.

KL