 CAD / 2643
Re: Yoctofig scale Death Star!! (Was:My House in Microfig)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Steve Bliss writes:
On Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:05:03 GMT, "Jeff Stembel" <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:

Likewise, Yoctofig scale brings out the true beauty of the Death Star.  ;)
[DAT file with only one part, a minifig head -ed]

What's "Yocto"?

Nice D.S.  Much better than that 11-piece 6x6x6 version I had...

yocto- is the SI prefix for the scaling factor 10 to the power of -24.

In the LEGO community (as far as I've seen so far) the SI prefixes micro- and
nano- have been used to expand on the idea of "minifig scale", which is roughly
1:40 scale.

"microfig scale" seems to be used for anything from about 1:80 down to about
1,000, and "nanofig scale" for anything from about 1:500 down to, well I don't
know, probably around 1:100,000.

Since the Death Star is shown in the movies and appears to be about 10^9 times
the size of a minifig head, the minifig head would really be "nano" scale, but
since "nanofig" has already been used as I described above it makes sense to go
to smaller prefixes.

The other little-known small scale SI prefixes are femto- for 10^-15, atto- for
10^-18, and zepto- for 10^-21.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13