 CAD / 2412
Re: Colonial Viper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:55:21 GMT

Daren <darens42@wans.net> writes:
Bram -

I just saw your Colonial Viper - It looks way cool.

Thanks!

I have one question though...

I've just started playing around with POV-ray - how do you add such
cool backgrounds to your picture?

For the starry backgrounds I used the "Galaxy" library (I think it's
called a library, maybe plug-in is a better term).  I don't have the URL
handy, but I'm sure someone can tell you where to find all the cool
libraries for POV-Ray.  The Galaxy library has all sorts of nifty
galactic objects to choose from in creating your own universe, but I
haven't played much with that.  I just took the easy way out:
add these two lines of code to your POV file:

#declare galaxy_seed = 999;   // or any other number.
#include "galaxy.inc"         // 999 is what I used in the first three
pics.

The planetary scene was created using a height_field (make sure you scale
it correctly--my first mountains were upside-down :)  For the
height_field source I blurred a black&white image of clouds to create the
smooth dune-like mountains.  The plane on which the Viper rests has

normal { bumps .5 scale 50 }

added to it to add some variation in color.
The Viper was put into the scene last.  First, I took the object, camera,
and light_source declarations out of the viper POV file and renamed it as
an .inc file[1].  Then I found a nice camera angle for my mountains (in a
different file).  Finally, I took the object declaration from the Viper
POV file and pasted it into the scenery file.  A little scaling and
translating helped fit the Viper perfectly into the scenery.

I hope that's not too much to take in all at once.  The starry scenes
were very easy, but the mountain scene took a little more work.
--Bram

1) Actually, I also  replaced all the color declarations in the L3P'd POV
file of the Viper with colors from Anton Raves' materials.lib file.