 CAD / 2403
Re: My first night with MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 06:09:58 GMT

Thank you all for this nice words about my work. I got a number of comments,
requests and let me say something like bug reports. I will do my best to bring
that things in.

By the way, something about myself:

My real name is Michael Lachmann, and I'm from Austria (EUROPE). I wrote the
program because I was having problems over problems with LDraw/LEdit until I
found a note in ldraw.org saying that you need a patch if you have a PII
machine. But in the mean-time I looked around if there was something else I
could use ... but as you know there was not much ...
In a lonely evening I started thinking about a program which could do it
better. Quickly a prototype was ready borrowing the source of LDLite. But this
stub was good for getting an idea about how it works, but was much to slow for
using it in a drawing program which should have multiple views. So I started
writing a similar thing, getting tips and tricks all over in the internet.
Then two weeks later I presented the prog. to a friend who was totaly out of
his socks (as you would say in Germany and Austria :-).

Therefor I release another two weeks later version 1.0, than follow ups V1.1
and 1.2 which didn't work under 95 (dam operating system [if it is one]), and
finaly 1.3 which does it again.

One last word to say .... Please help me also in the future, I write this
program for pur fun and nothing else. I'm also playing arround with Lego (even
if I'm already 33 now) and knowing that people like what you do keeps you
going....

Best regards
Michael (alias Mike)

In lugnet.cad, Jeff Boen writes:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Lachmann writes:
MLCad V1.3...
Mike

in a word: "Wow!"..

this, my friends, is the start of what we've been waiting for..

most of you know what a huge 3DSMAX fan i am.. so i've spent a great deal of
time in a similar interface.. i've spent the entire evening playing in MLCad,
comaparing it's usablity to commercial software, looking for what needs
tweaking, what feels right, and what will be a pleasure to see implemented in
the near future.. i've sent emails to Mike (hopefully i didn't talk his ear
off) giving him suggestions on how (IMHO) he could improve on what is already • a
*FANTASTIC* start..

where did this guy come from???? and how the hell did he have such an advanced
program by the time we got to see one morsel of it???

well, no matter what.. i'm glad he's here.. so take a look at his proggy, and
drop him a line.. we need to support him and get him cranking out updates like
steve does (hehe... sorry, that sounded a little JW'ish.. i apologize...)..
cause god-knows life wouldn't be the same without LDAO.. so we need to
encourage Mike in the same way... it's the start of something really great for
all of us...

off to play more now!
:)