 CAD / 2361
Re: !!!! MLCad V1.3 (Mikes Lego CAD) IS READY !!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:10:41 GMT

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 08:18:21PM +0000, MLCad Author wrote:
MLCad V1.3 is ready for download now.

MLCad is a powerful cad system for creating building instructions of your self-
made Lego models. The program creates similar instructions as the known one
from Lego itself.

Hiya Mike!  Your program looks nice, but I have one problem. I doesn't
work under linux or any other platforms!  I would like to suggest a couple
things, if I may.  Of course, you can ignore them all....

I am very pro GPL.  If you don't plan on making money on this application
via hiding the IP (Intellectual Property) or patenting it, then I'd like
to suggest that you move it to the GNU Public License.  (More info
available at www.gnu.org)

This license's purpose is to keep the software free (as in libre) for all
people. It has the added requirement that the source be made available
whenever the binaries are made available.

If you are worried about a commercial company taking your code and
improving it and selling it, then the GPL will cause the improvements to
fall back into your hands via the GPL (ie the GPL is infectious).  This
keeps the source public.

It will not stop a company from simply taking what you have and selling
it, but they will be forced to sell your source with it, and any
documentation too.  You will always get full credit this way.

I would like to take a stab at tring to port one of these programs to
linux, but doubt my skills to finish it, or produce the best product.  So
what I thought to do, with one of these projects, is to set up a CVS
repository on my system, gerf.org, and work on it there.  Allowing anyone
else who would like to help, at least, read access.

In return, I know of a good GPL terrain generator that can be used for
water and backgrounds.  (Of course, you wouldn't want to use GPL code if
you keep your current trems of use.)

Well, I hope I haven't annoyed you too much.

Sincerely,
The Doctor What  (aka Christian Holtje)

--
If you live to the age of a hundred you have it made because very few people die past the age of a hundred.
-- George Burns

The Doctor What: "What, Doctor What"        http://www.gerf.org/~docwhat/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC