 CAD / 2356
Re: New version of BlockCAD released - 1.8
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:01:06 GMT

I finally checked this out, and I like it.  It's a much faster way to get the studs-up parts of your LDraw project started.  I'm
also going to test this out on my kids, who don't have quite enough patience to use LEdit.

A couple of comments:

1.  The exit door should have some sort of "do you really want to leave?" box pop up.  Otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen.

2.  I had considerable trouble placing minifig arms on the torso.  They usually were placed above the torso.  Was I doing something
wrong?  Any suggestions?

Anyway, nice program

-John Van

Anders Isaksson <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote in message news:FGB8pF.GKH@lugnet.com...
Hello all!

I have released a new version of my Lego drawing program BlockCAD.
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/proglego.htm

New in 1.8 is:

- A bunch of new pieces
- A rudimentary 'step' facility (for building instructions), needs work.
- A lot of small fixes etc.

BlockCAD is a simple 'click and put' Lego drawing program. It has it's
limitations, but it's easy (intuitive?) to begin with.

The main limitations are:

Studs up only, 90 degrees rotation only, cannot handle complex (concave)
pieces.

On the positive side we have:

No obvious limits on the number of pieces in a model (OK, when you have 2000+
pieces, rotations are a bit slow, but it's still usable)

It can export a model in LDraw format. This makes BC a good way to start a
LDraw project - do as much as possible in BC, then export to LDraw and finish
it up.

Built-in piece editor (not very easy to use, but it's there)

You can save a model, or a picture (.bmp) of it, or print it out.

You can use any .bmp as background in BC. By taking a picture of a model, then
using this as a background, adding another model, you can make nice scenes.

(OK, I'll shut up now...)

Happy building,
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden