 CAD / 2080
Re: help\advice with CAD stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:52:20 GMT

Blake Christopher Gettig <gettig@gvec.net> wrote in message news:FE47sI.KFG@lugnet.com...
  I am new to lego CAD programs and I had down loaded Ldraw.  However, having
grown up with mac computers, I couldn't get used to the dos enviroment.  It
was taking me ages to make simple models.  Therefor, I down loaded LeoCAD, and
I have been able to ajust easly.

  Being new I have a couple of questions:
1. what is ray-tracing and what is it used for

Raytracing creates a realistic picture with shadowing, textures, perspective, backgrounds, etc.  The raytracing program used by most
people here is POV-Ray, which can be downloaded free from www.povray.org .

2. how can I post my LeoCAD made designs.

Most people here still use the LDraw family of programs.  LeoCAD exports nicely to the LDraw .dat file format.  Once you have your
design in .dat format, you can post it to any of the *.dat newgroups here, or put it on a web page for download.

Also with LeoCAD or LDraw, you can generate building instructions which can be included in a web page.

And finally you can create raytracings of your designs to include on a web page.  In addition to POV-Ray, you will need a program
called L3P which converts .dat files to .pov files.  From LeoCAD, you would export to .dat format, run L3P to convert to .pov
format, then load the file in POV-Ray to do the raytracing.  It sounds more complicated than it really is.

  Could some body please help me?

Folks around here are always ready to help.

-John Van