 CAD / 1960
1959  |  1961
Subject:
Animated model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:22:28 GMT

I have tried to animate one of my recent models.  I simply used the
animation possibilities inherent in POV-Ray.

The animation isn't too exciting; I'm simply spinning the model around
the Y-axis.  Oh, and the light sources spin too, which makes it look
like the camera spins around the model, I assume.  But my mind boggles
when I think of the possibilities available.

The animation has been MPEG-1 compressed to save some space.  I used
"mpeg_encode".  I'm pretty new to this program, so I basically used the
standard settings, mostly.

If you're on a UNIX-like system, avoid using "Xanim" to view the
animation.  "Xanim" is a very nice program, but it will only show the
I-frames in this animation, which will not look good.  I recommend
"mpeg_play" or "mtv" in stead.

The animation is 240x176 pixels and consists of 100 frames.  It is
compressed to 178Kb.  You can download it from:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/beach-buggy/buggy.mpg

If you're experienced with animations, I'd like to hear your comments as
to how the quality of the animation can be improved, without making the
file larger, obviously.

Fredrik