 CAD / 17641
    Re: 3D laser scanning —Darrell Urbien
   OK, this took a couple of hours of work (remember I'm learning as I go along). It's still a little crude, and there are a few holes in the overhangs,but it's a start! (URL) you guys still use Brickshelf? I hope I remembered how to do that (...) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Darrell Urbien
   Here's what it looks like shaded in Rhino, in case you couldn't visualize the surface in the other pics. (2 URLs) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Reuben Pearse
   (...) Can any of the experienced part authors confirm whether Darrell's files are suitable for making an LDraw part? From the visuals they look pretty good, but I'm no expert on the details needed to convert this type of model into a real part file. (...) (13 years ago, 21-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Philippe Hurbain
   Hi Reuben & Darell, (...) Yes, they look good. At first sight triangulation has too many triangles for a LDraw file, but it's easy to reduce. (...) I could have a try, but don't expect it so soon... Another problem is that I don't have the real part (...) (13 years ago, 22-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Darrell Urbien
   Hi Philo, I've sent you the STL file for the Anakin Skywalker hair piece and the Senate Commando helmet. I’m not really satisfied with how the front of the part looks; if you look at the picture on Peeron there’s a lot more definition in the hair (...) (13 years ago, 22-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Philippe Hurbain
   Hi Darrel, (...) Indeed, the face is not really needed here. Your scanner properly creates a file in millimeter units, scaling by 2.5 directly provides LDU. (...) From my experience with laser scanner, some smoothing can't be avoided because the (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Darrell Urbien
   (...) Thanks, Philo! In that case, I shall rescan without the head, from more angles, and with finer settings - I was trying (unsuccessfully) to try and limit the polygon count by scanning in lower resolution, but if you're using other software to (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

        Re: 3D laser scanning —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) Yes, better have more resolution at the beginning. In many cases I downsample differently on different sections of parts. Eg. for Dobby's head ((URL) I first reduced polygon count to a high value, then reduced again in all areas except (...) (13 years ago, 24-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)