 CAD / 1662
1661  |  1663
Subject:
Useful bug in LEdit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 02:29:28 GMT

Hi all,

Recently I was informed of an apparent bug in LEdit (Thanks to Jonathan Wilson
for finding this) that affects part files with the STUD.dat references
capitalized.

What happens is that studs in LEdit are always fully rendered if STUD.dat's are
capitalized.   This means that some pieces show up with full studs, while most
show up with just lines.  And this also slows down the drawing of a part with a
lot of studs.  I had noticed this before, but never knew the cause.  I found it
to be very annoying.

In effect, this bug always sets the option [studs-as-line] to always being OFF
for those parts.  I guess LEdit's code for this routine is case-sensitive.

So I have combed through the inventory and replaced all STUD.dat's with
stud.dat.   A fix for the next update.

Now, back to the Subject line.....
There are at least two instances where this bug(1) can be useful to us.
Parts 4735.dat Space Robot Arm and 4599.dat Tap  1 x  1  both have single studs
placed in such a way as to be virtually invisible in LEdit with
[studs-as-lines] turned ON (the default condition).  This makes those pieces
somewhat difficult to use.   What I want to do is capitalize their stud.dat
statements.  This makes the studs on these pieces always visible in LEdit.
Makes using these parts _much_ easier.

Any suggestions for any other parts that can benefit from this trick?

-- Terry K --
1.  Maybe this isn't a bug.  Call it a precognitive feature.