 CAD / 15828
15827  |  15829
Subject:
Rendering for liberty
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 03:08:03 GMT

I’ve been working on honing my skills at the whole rendering thing using many of the tools written by members of this forum and with knowledge gleaned here. I thought it was time to share!

I asked my kids which model they would like me to use for a render and they picked the 3450 Statue of Liberty. This is a nice big model, but it is also very plain due to the homogeneous color, so I wanted to spice it up a bit. My intention was to mimic a photograph of the real statue. I also wanted a nice up-view with perspective so that it looks big!

Step one was opening up the model in MLCAD and making sure all the parts work OK. I also picked a camera angle and changed the “flame” yellow parts to transparent.

Doesn’t look too good. Next I opened it up in LDView. Looks much better, and I was able to copy the camera definition for use in POV-Ray.

Then I converted it using L3P. The only options I chose were to use the LGEO library because I wanted everything else custom. I used the camera angle from LDView. I changed to colors to those of Todd Lehman (there are only two colors here). Next I found a really good picture of a sunset I took and sampled four colors out of it. I used these to make a gradient for the background on a sky sphere. Then I included the skies.inc file to put in some clouds. I added a sphere in the distance to represent the sun and lit it with 3 nearby light sources. I also put one light source up high so the front of the model wouldn’t be completely dark. I then turned on radiosity and rendered.

This was pretty good, but the lighting on the statue did not look right. The background looked like sunset, but the statue was lit with white. I went back and changed the color and brightness of the light sources and got this:

I was pretty happy with this, but the sun just didn’t look right. I spent a lot of time making a transparent ring filled with atmospheric media to get a halo around the sun. It looked all right, but not very convincing. I had forgotten the cardinal rule of the Internet. Why figure out how to do something when someone else has already done it? So I downloaded the nkflare.inc file, removed the sun sphere, and added a lens flare. I had to mess with the brightness and radiosity settings to get it right, but here is what I ended up with:

High res images of these files can be seen in my Brickshelf folder.

So what do you think?

Eric Albrecht

Technicopedia