 CAD / 1572
1571  |  1573
Subject:
Microfig vs. Nanofig (Was: Nanofig Ties)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:22:35 GMT

SCOTT R DENNETT wrote:
Since it seems that we have advanced from microfig building to nanofig building, here are a couple of tie fighters :) PLMKWYT

Pretty innovative models, but wouldn't a nanofig-scale one-man fighter be
roughly one millimeter wide?  I would say that the models you just posted
are roughly in the same scale as previous microfig-scale models.

It's my understanding that nanofig scale is most appropriate for modelling
really *huge* items, such as mile-long starships and presidential egos.
That sort of thing.  If you follow the metric prefix sequence,

"micro" = 1 / 1,000,000 (i.e. one one-millionth (1) ) ;
"nano" = 1 / 1,000,000,000 (i.e. one one-billionth), or 1 / 1,000
micro-scale.

You could probably sculpt planetary models in picofig-scale, or 1 /
1,000,000,000,000 (i.e. one one-trillionth).  Todd's bloodsucker nanotech
droids (2) could arguably be kilo-fig scale.  Of course, this analogy breaks
down PDQ when you note that "mini" isn't even in there.  :-P

BTW, I really like the TIE fighter, regardless what scale it's in.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  American metric.  Not to be confused with the metric used by the rest of
the world.  (3)

2.  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:160

3.  Note that I'm going from memory, with approx. 64 oz. of caffeine in my
bloodstream (4), listening to a lethal mixture of MP3 including INXS and
Queen and Enya and Oingo Boingo and Talking Heads and Loreena McKennitt, and
trying to implement a recursive treenode-sorting function in Java (5), so
all that silly rambling legalese (6) about standard disclaimers applies.

4.  And no, I'm not going to convert 64 oz. into metric right now.  :-,

5.  I've decided to fully endorse usage of ObjectSpace's JGL.  What a slick
API.  Though the docs are kinda hard to understand with the Pixies
screeching in stereo.  :-,

6.  Like I'm not silly / rambling right now.  (7)

7.  I think that that's enough footnotes for now.  :-P

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)