 CAD / 14933
Re: Unseen inner structures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:30:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
I'd like to hear opinions about the discussion raised for 55967 part: see
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/55967.dat

I had to make a couple of decisions regarding the 4.5V gearbox part when I
modeled it. I decided modeling the actual gears inside was not appropriate for
this part, mainly because I didn't want to prise my only one apart, but also
because I couldn't think of anyone ever wanting to see them in a model. Having
decided that, I had to decide whether or not to model the inside walls of the
casing parts. Again, because I didn't want to take it apart, I couldn't be sure
exactly what shape they are, so I decided not to model them.

End result is that it's just a single shell, which I think is fine, but if
people disagree probably the best thing to do is put a "needs work" on it.

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x170c01.dat

In general, I'd say it depends on the part. I see no need to model the inside of
glued parts, but parts that do come apart relatively easily I'd lean towards
adding the extra detail.

ROSCO